Thursday, January 10, 2013

carpe poem #5

I admit I have been slowing down. I've been distracted lately. It sometimes takes too much to try to write a poem, and it sometimes comes pouring out as easily as spilling water. Here is a poem I had worked on before. Thanks for reading.

---


Worm


I was sorry
to disturb the pale
body as I raked 
the overdue leaves.

Having made its bed
in the wet dark,
it had snacked on earth in secret
and earth, passing, covered it.  

Imagine its surprise
in being suddenly illuminated,
gasping like a root

green-shooted and denuded
to the unbearable atmosphere
that I commanded with my task. 

Imagine my surprise
in being thus discovered,
my appetite raked

up by His gardening work,
breathlessly squirming under
the saturated sky. 

Disposed to disposal, 
as dust is to dust,
in what earthen vessel
could I compost a most

fertile burrow while He, bending 
down, knuckles like mountains,
bowed His sun-face into my horizon,
and divined the number of my segments?





No comments:

Post a Comment