Tuesday, December 18, 2012

carpe poem #2

Let poems be what they are, speak into context-less contexts, blank pages of life. I think poems are context-creating things, putting frames on life, which is why I think so many poems are about nature, because nature frames us these days. How many of our forests and groves and copses now border our neighborhoods and city limits? Bodies of water? Okay, poetic rambling ends here. 

Here is another poem. 



----


Stronghold


I have set its hedges down
where you would trip,
dug the moat where you would 
drown and muddle in diplomacy,
and if you were far
off, I have poised the trebuchets on your
position, reaching into old tensions, 
so that if you advanced,
weakened with that volley, I could signal
the indefensible archers emoting from intelligent
parapets bearing impossible standards, 
and if you rammed close
so that I could see my name on your lips,
my bowels would be moved, cauldrons
of scoria slagging over so consuming that 
even my defenses begin to char and change
out of desperation, knowing the condition
that this castle's keep will not, cannot, keep
and what I cannot keep, for some reason,
without end, without reason, I will die to defend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment